Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Google


It's official. I have a job for next year, and it's at Google. As seems to be their practice, I don't really know what I'll be doing, and won't until I get there, other than that I'll be a "Software Engineer." I suppose that's so I can't tell all of you! I'm hoping it's something nicely geometric, and maybe even something that relates to my research on kinetic sensor data. They certainly have a lot of changing data.

But, despite my theory bent, or perhaps because of doing mostly theory for the past few years, I'm excited to make something that people will actually use. The liberal arts student in me likes to learn about and do lots of different things, and I think I'll get to do that there. I was also really impressed with my interviewers - it seemed obvious that I'd learn a lot by working with people like them. Certainly, I won't be bored, and that's something I've been realizing lately is incredibly important to me.

I know many people may consider that this means I'm leaving research. Instead, I'd say that I'm going to be working on practical research. It will probably mean less papers, but more working systems. Research vs. Industry. It's a false dichotomy, or perhaps I just think it should be.

11 comments:

Suresh said...

Congratulations ! and it is indeed a false dichotomy. I'm sure you'll thoroughly enjoy yourself.

Anonymous said...

Congrats. Your are taking the path of freedom: Freedom not to dig deeper and deeper into the same hole for the rest of your life, not to suck up to the same 12 people for the rest of your life. Do Google for as long as you enjoy it, then move on to whatever you want to do next.

This is the last time that you may think you are "leaving" something. From now on you will be moving on. Progressing to the next stage of your career (or taking time off to do something different). You will understand what I mean once you are not surrounded by academics.

Katie said...

Yay for jobs! I've been thinking about this a lot as an option for myself for next year as well. I think that part of it for me personally is that I'm interested in teaching, and I think that an opportunity like this would definitely enhance my teaching as well as exposing me to new ideas for "academic research."

Let us know how it goes!

Katie said...

I should also clarify that when I was working at Google (albeit in a different position) I found the work extremely satisfying as well. It's a fun place to be.

Alex McFerron said...

Very cool! this is just awesome. I'm sure you will love it.

atri said...

Congratulations!

I have been following your blog for a while but this is my first comment. (Thanks for all the nice posts and introducing me to some other nice blogs.)

GASARCH said...

The most important question: will you still Blog?

sorelle said...

Gasarch - Fair question, as I'll obviously need to make sure not to violate my NDA. Still, I imagine I'll still have things to say... (;

GASARCH said...

***SORELLE*** the other obvious question:
You care alot about teaching and actually know alot about teaching. Hence I'm tempted to say something like

Too bad you couldn't get a job in teaching

or

What kind of society do we live in where
***SORELLE*** cannot get a job in teaching?

But this is just my speculation- how do
YOU feel about not going into academia with regard to the TEACHING aspect?

sorelle said...

I'll miss teaching, definitely. But hopefully I'll find ways to continue my broader interest in education. And in fact, I'm pretty excited about some of education-related "widget" ideas floating around in my head...

Anonymous said...

I was actually inspired by one of your posts on teaching when I taught my first class. I used your techniques of making the students solve problems in groups in class (which had never been done in any upper level CS classes I had taken) and it worked very well!

Have fun at Google!